6 Home Security Tips While You’re on Vacation
Summer is one of our favorite seasons of the year! The weather finally heats up and it’s the best time to pull out the grill for a barbecue or go on that vacation you’ve been waiting on all year. As you enjoy your summer vacation, we’d like to offer you some tips for having a safe summer.
- Resist the urge to tell everyone about your vacation or post it on social media. It’s understandable to be excited, but hold off until you get back. There are many possible burglars lurking on the web that may be waiting for the right time to hit up your empty home.
- Have a neighbor, friend, or family member check up on your home a few times while you’re away. Have them check to make sure no faucets are running and nothing looks unordinary.
- Avoid leaving obvious signs that you’re not home, such as an overfilled mailbox or newspapers stacking up on the driveway. Have a neighbor collect your mail and newspapers while you’re away.
- Surprisingly, 30 percent of all burglars enter through an unlocked door or window while 34 percent of burglars will enter right through the front door. Be sure to double check all access points before leaving.
- Leave a light on or set a light on a timer. This can give the impression that someone is home. If you have someone dog sitting or checking up on the house, it would be best to alternate lights and leave the front porch light on.
- Before you leave, hide away all your expensive belongings just in case someone does break in.
The average property loss in a burglary is over $2,000! By locking up and hiding your most expensive items, you’ll reduce the chance of returning home to unwanted troubles. Have a safe and fun summer!