Radical anti-police activists are busy gathering signatures to force a referendum on to the May 2021 ballot to repeal a key provision in the law that promotes quality policing and strong public safety.
Last year, these anti-police activists wanted the San Antonio City Council to gut the public safety budget. NOW, they’re continuing their attack on public safety by trying to get the voters of San Antonio to repeal Collective Bargaining rights for our Police Officers. These Defund Police Activists have submitted a petition to the City Clerk asking the San Antonio City Council to place a referendum on the May 2021 Municipal Ballot which, if approved, would drive good officers from the force and make it more difficult to recruit quality officers.
MAKE NO MISTAKE: REPEALING COLLECTIVE BARGAINING (CH. 174) IS JUST ANOTHER WAY FOR ANTI-POLICE ACTIVISTS TO DEFUND THE POLICE.
The voters of San Antonio granted police officers, through citywide elections, the right to have Collective Bargaining in 1974 (Ch. 174). Chapter 174 has been the foundation for good public policy for decades.
HERE’S WHAT COLLECTIVE BARGAINING MEANS FOR PUBLIC SAFETY IN SAN ANTONIO.
- Collective Bargaining ensures our ability to recruit Quality Officers by offering fair pay and benefits.
- Without Collective Bargaining, good officers will leave the police force, which will mean fewer officers available to patrol the city and potentially longer 911 response times.
- Levels the playing field with City Hall politicians and bureaucrats by giving officers a voice in their pay, benefits, and working conditions.
- Provides police with due process by objective, non-partisan arbitrators, not by politicians and bureaucrats.
- Helps ensure that military veterans are given additional consideration in hiring and while performing their military duties.
- Protects police officers and fire fighters from being hired and fired at will by politicians and bureaucrats.
- Important for recruiting and retaining quality officers.
- Common in public sector workplaces and works well for all types of public employees, from postal workers to fire fighters.
- Prevents politically-motivated firings and cronyism in hiring and promotion.
Anti-Police Activists are in San Antonio neighborhoods – lying to voters – to get signatures for a referendum that would weaken & DEFUND police.